A Reader's Guide to Comic Con - ebook samplers!

Tuesday, July 22, 2014
San Diego Comic Con is almost upon us!! If you are going and still trying to figure out what panels to attend, check out my reader recommendations for programming for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday!

Not able to make it to SDCC but still interested in what new speculative fiction is coming out this year? Luckily, many of the publishers are offering their Comic Con samplers online for everyone to enjoy this year.

Below I've compiled the ones released so far -- I will update it if any new ones come out during SDCC.

Del Rey 2014 Sampler  + Star Wars 2014 Sampler 
Interestingly, the Del Rey sampler this year has a ton of excerpts from older works mixed in with a few new ones. Ones I would recommend checking out for the fantasy fan: Scott Lynch's Lies of Locke Lamora, Joe Abercrombie's Half a King (my review is here), and George R. R. Martin's Game of Thrones (if you have somehow avoided it up until this point).

For my part, I am going to try and read the Outlander excerpt -- the series has been on my to-read list for awhile! I am also going to try and read a few of the Star Wars excerpts -- I've not managed to read anything in this imprint yet, and I know I should give it a try.

Penguin's Comic Con sampler + featured titles (which include some links to excerpts).

I'm really excited for Lev Grossman's next installment in his Magician's series - The Magician's Land, as I really enjoyed the first two books in this series. And despite being really really disappointed with how her Sookie Stackhouse series ended, I might give Charlaine Harris's Midnight Crossroad a try, as it is a new series.

Harper Voyager's Science Fiction and Fantasy sampler
In this sampler I'm looking forward to getting a peek at Katherine Harbour's Thorn Jack and Beth Cato's The Clockwork Dagger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Exploring Worlds
Template by These Paper Hearts