Coming this Sunday to a blog near you -- Sunday Shorts, the Hugo Nominees

Thursday, July 3, 2014
I have lots of hopes and plans for this blog -- but one biggie is to give readers regular features so everyone knows what to expect. With that in mind, one weekly programming item I'd like to start is the review of short stories. I will post these reviews on Sundays -- the weekly Sunday Short!

Personally, I think there are loads of great speculative fiction short stories being posted nowadays online, but it is difficult to sort through them and find the gems. This is evidenced a little in terms of the spread in nominations of short stories this year with the Hugos.

In that vein, I am actually going to start with those Hugo nominees for this year, listed below. I include links to where the stories are available online in case anyone would like to read along and start a dialogue!

Hugo Nominees for Best Short Story, 2014 (link): 


“If You Were a Dinosaur, My Love”, Rachel Swirsky (link, Apex Magazine, Mar-2013)

“The Ink Readers of Doi Saket”, Thomas Olde Heuvelt (link, Tor.com, Apr-2013)

“Selkie Stories Are for Losers”, Sofia Samatar (link, Strange Horizons, Jan-2013)

“The Water That Falls on You from Nowhere”, John Chu (link, Tor.com, Feb-2013)


This Sunday I will start with Rachel Swirsky's short.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2014 Exploring Worlds
Template by These Paper Hearts